This thriving city of 270,000 offers the services and facilities of a large city in the friendly environment of a small town. Saskatoon is the commercial and education centre for central and northern Saskatchewan and is the home of the region’s premier university, the University of Saskatchewan.
One of Canada’s most attractive cities:
• situated on the banks of the South Saskatchewan River, which is crossed by 8 bridges.
• includes over 120 hectares of riverbank parks and natural areas through the heart of the city. The Meewasin Valley Trail follows the river through the city and offers over 21 kilometres of well maintained paths used for walking, jogging, bicycling, and cross-country skiing.
• provides a rich and vibrant arts community featuring a wide variety of artistic, musical, and theatre attractions. Some examples include the Saskatoon Symphony, the Mendel Art Gallery and Civic Conservatory, and Persephone Theatre.
• a cluster of science facilities makes Saskatoon a centre for world-class scientific endeavour. 30% of Canada’s agricultural biotechnology activity occurs in Saskatoon.
• Installations include: Canadian Light Source Synchrotron, Innovation Place, Vaccine and Infectious Disease Organization, National Research Council Plant Biotechnology Institute, POS Pilot Plant, Saskatchewan Research Council, Saskatchewan Structural Science Centre, and Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Research Centre.
Advantages for students:
• a safe, calm city where most people speak only one language – English!
• a highly-educated population that provides excellent academic, artistic and recreational opportunities.
• Canada’s fastest growing economy (2011).
• a national centre for scientific research and agricultural activity.
• galleries, festivals, sports events and concerts provide year-round entertainment.
• flights connect to all major Canadian cities. (JOHN G. DIEFENBAKER AIRPORT - YXE) http://www.skyxe.ca
• located in Canada’s sunniest region offering bright skies in summer and winter.
• homes, schools, buses and public buildings are all properly equipped to provide year-round comfort regardless of outside temperature.